Moving boxes are the most important supplies for having a safe and quick relocation. There are many ways to either gather free boxes or buy some in different shapes. In order to choose the right size of moving boxes, you will need to create a packing plan and evaluate the size of your items and overall weight.
The packing plan
Rather than buying the boxes first and then trying to fit all of your belongings into them, you should create a packing plan first. A detailed and clear packing plan will help you in many ways. First of all, you will be able to have a well-organized packing process. The packing plant will also speed up your relocation. You can create a packing and moving timeline by following the plan. Later on, you will be able to unpack after the move using the same plan. Therefore, make sure your packing plan is organized into a checklist.
The best way to stay organized during the packing process is to create it according to rooms. Start from the living room and work up to smaller ones like the bathroom. Follow the same plan during the packing day. Use the checklist backward during the moving in day. Unpack the bathroom and essential items first.
Evaluate how many fragile or antique items you have. Those will require more quality boxes and packing material. In order to pack your boxes like a pro, plan to pack the heaviest items first. These will require the strongest and most quality boxes that you will most likely have to buy.
Don’t pack the items you don’t need
Don’t pack anything you won’t need in your new home. Throw away the broken furniture. Schedule a garage sale and donate all of the possessions someone else might need. Therefore, besides saving money on moving expenses and packing supplies you will be able to earn some as well.
Local moving NC process will require similar packing material like the ones you would use for an interstate move. Therefore, don’t be fooled by the distance of your relocation and create a detailed plan. You belongings need to stay safe during the transport.
Gathering free boxes vs. buying the packing supplies
In order to save money and have a safe and stress-free move, you should combine the two options. Visit local grocery stores and other shops and ask for free boxes. Local businesses always have more than a few boxes that are just laying around and waiting to be recycled. Ask if there is a specific delivery day you may be able to get more boxes on. Websites like Craiglist can also be a great source of free packing supplies.
Use old suitcases and trunks as packing material as well. Pack smart, put smaller items into the bigger ones. Don’t throw away reusable grocery bags and find all of the tote bags you have. You can save money on packing supplies by packing your clothes and linen into bags.
After you gather free boxes you will be able to approximately evaluate the amount of the packing material that you need to buy. We are all looking for a bargain. However, keep in mind that fragile and valuable items need to be packed safely. Therefore, plan on buying a few high-quality moving boxes to keep your belongings safe. If you are hiring a professional moving company for your relocation, ask them for detailed information on their packing services. Some movers have their own boxes they will be able to sell or rent. Therefore, you might be able to get a better price from your mover. Also, experiences packers will be able to help you choose the right size of moving boxes.
Buying the packing supplies – choose the right size of moving boxes.
Less is more? Well, not so quite much in this particular case. Buying fewer boxes may make you overpack them. Therefore, you will have extremely heavy boxes to move around during the moving day. During the relocation day, people tend to be under pressure and work in a rush. That is exactly way injuries are so common during the moving day. In order to stay safe and relocate quickly, make sure you are not carrying boxes that are too heavy. Therefore, choose the right size of moving boxes according to the weight and size.
Types of moving boxes
There are more than a few types and sizes of moving boxes. In order to help you choose the right size of moving boxes we will point out the most common ones:
- Boxes that carry up to 60 pounds. (Usual size around 16x12x12 inches) – If you want to choose the right size of moving boxes, this is the boxes you need to get the most of. They are great for packing your books, dishes or any smaller items.
- Boxes that carry up to 70 pounds. The sizes may vary. However, it is important to mind the weight limit and not overpack the boxes. Electronics, linens, or clothes can go into these moving boxes.
- Big boxes. The size isn’t something you should worry about. Py attention to the weight. Therefore, make sure you don’t have any too heavy boxes. Use the really big boxes for bulky items like pillows, blankets, and coats.
- Wardrobe boxes. These boxes are either hanging or laying down types of boxes. Packing your clothes on hangers into specializes boxes will be practical and quick. However, these boxes tend to be pricier than the regular ones. Therefore, if you are looking to save money, buy just a few of these to pack your gowns and expensive suits.
- Special boxes. There are various additional types of boxes. You can order a box to pack a painting or even a mattress. Make sure that you know the exact size and weight limit when ordering customized boxes.
Another thing to keep in mind
Remember that size isn’t that important when you want to choose the right size of moving boxes. Pay attention to the layers. Boxes with more layers will be able to support heavier weight and items. Therefore, pack fragile items into quality multi-layered moving boxes. Use packaging peanuts and wraps to additionally secure the breakables.